No title necessary.

This is the post I wrote right after I went to see Tabitha, the dance senior thesis performance this past weekend, with few additional thoughts added today.

Mixed feelings, emotions taking over me. A glimpse of the bitersweetness that is graduation has hit me tonight. Maybe because I was totally amazed by how beautiful the show was, maybe because I’ve been sleeping so poorly that things are exaggerated, maybe maybe maybe, but the truth is, this beautifle circle is coming to meet its end, and start a new beginning. Soon it will be the summer, summer of new beginnings, of change, of new faces, and perhaps a few familiar ones, new places, new stories to be written, new dances to be danced.

I have been looking forward to Luci’s performance since the beginning of the year. I heard about it everyday, lived through her struggles, her achievements, her moments of doubt, of wonder, others of joy and happiness as the piece was coming together, and my perspective was that of a close friend, listening to how her days went, how the rehearsal was, and how it’s coming along. And tonight was the night, it was time to watch her be who she is, what she loves to do, was born to be. It may sound so cheesy of how emotional this is for me, but the dance wasn’t just about Luci’s experiences. Her piece, Black Lining, resembled some of my experiences too, experiences of relationships that are built, ones that are growing, and others waiting to be started. Complex, deep,and meaningful feelings. The beauty of the way the dancers moved on the stage, the music filling the air, keeping you on your feet watching as couples interact, grow and become what they’re meant to be.

Aside from the dance itself, the presence of her wonderful family who I’ve missed, her friends and the love that was taking over was overwhelming in its own good way. The good vibes, the emotions from everyone and the smiles, the hugs, the pictures and the laughs were rejuvenating. This show has brought upon me so many feelings, good ones though overwhelming. It got me reflecting upon this precious friendship along with a few others which have brought me to where I am now, to realizing how fortunate I am, and how wonderful this world can be. The beauty of her dance, the deep message in the choreography, the music, the colors, the feelings in the air, feelings in the movements and everywhere took us to a different place, one that is filled with joy and happiness, some moments of struggle, confusion, but always followed by the bright sunshine outlined. Such a journey it has been, a journey of growth, of friendships, of self-discovery. Flashbacks of happy moments passed before me, all in one night, one dance. Relationships that have come and gone, ones that have been growing, others are still blossoming.

Going to see the show the second night gave me the chance to enjoy the dance once again. Shawn and I had planned to get Luci a small thing to show our support, love, and congratulations. And if you know us, the toolas, we have an obsession with the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” and we happen to reference it on almost daily basis -don’t roll your eyes, it’s such an addicting movie, plus, the fact that I can relate to all the craziness that greeks do, makes it better- we thought we could make it a funny gift and so it was, a bunt cake. not any bunt cake, it was a fixed one. There you go.

Toolas fixed the Cake! Photo Credit: Megan LaBouff '13

I thought I could end this with a few words to you, Luci, here they are, no tears:

Words can’t explain my feelings of how proud I am of you Luci, how fortunate I am to have you in my life as a friend, as a sister. The friendship, the sisterhood and the love-affair (haha, you know it’s true) we’ve been having for the past (almost) 4 years. Tonight you were beyond what words can describe as breathtaking and amazing. You are a person who doesn’t need introduction.

Until we meet again, eat somesing!

Peace,

~Muna